Sunday, May 6, 2018

Interview with Hostia done by Patrick posted on 5-6-18


Interview with Hostia done by Patrick


1. Hello please introduce yourself to the readers and how are things in Poland these days?
Hey! I'm HOSTIA's vocalist known as St Sixtus. For now we just can't wait when people will get our album! We have a lot of fun with making videos and prepare ourselves for gigs. Generally there are dark clouds above Poland because of catolic church trying to incrase influence on society. It is basically an attack on freedom of speech, woman's rights and freedom of art and culture. If it's not enough we have some group of nationalist and fascism supporters. That's fuckin wrong and dangerous especially when its connected with radical christians. It's a main inspiration for HOSTIA songs too.

2. When did you first start listening to metal metal music and who were some of the first bands you listened to? Who are some of your current favorite bands?
O man! It was so long time ago. I started screaming in first band in 98' so I started to listening metal a couple years earlier. I was a big fan of Helloween, Running Wild and Manowar those days. Still love first, classic albums of those bands. After that I was demolished by Carcass and there was no turning back then. All kinds of extreme metal from black to death, was on my earphones all the time. Now I'm not into metal as much... I mean I still listen to all classic old albums but a lot of new bands are just boring. If we talk about metal I love Nails or Nacrophagia. It's my top You know? Quite simple but groovie death metal. But the most time I listen to movies soundtracks and some electronic stuff like Lorn and Perturbator.

3. When did you first meet the other members of the band? And was it long before you all started Hostia?
We've met many years ago when our other bands were sharing the stage. We played together some gigs. I also recorded guest vocals on their band album.
When I moved to Warsaw in 2017, guys called me and invited me to make some jam session for fun. I was suprised coz they changed totally their style. It was heavy as fuck and brutal. The jam session for fun transformed into regular rehearsals.

4. What is the current line up of the band and how would you best describe Hostia's musicial style?
HOSTIA are 4 guys behind the dead popes nicknames. Vocals - St Sixtus, guitars - St Anacletus, drums - St Evaristus and bass - St Xyxtus. As i said we all played in many different polish metal bands. We did not want people to judge Hostia through the prism of what we played earlier. Thats the new begining for us.We don't look back and we wanna our music to defend itself. Who the fuck cares who we are? It’s about the music.

5. Via Nocturna will be releasing the self-titled debut how did you and the band come in contact with Via Nocturna?
When we released first song 'Corroded Cross” there was the response from couple labels including Via Nocturna.

6. Does the whole band take part in the writing process or does one member write everything?
All compositions are made by St Anacletus. He is taking care of the music. I try to do some cool and kick ass vocals on the top of it. And of course the final shape of the songs is the result of the work of all 4 of us.

7. Who usually handles writing the lyrics for the band and what are some topics the band writes about?
Well that's my job. As I said, we're not big fans of polish catholic church and institutional religions at all hehe. We are surrounded by this shit. It's just another cult. I mean – come on - it's all about money and power over stupid people. So church and religions are the main topics but we have some lyrics based on serial killers or some grusome stories. We don't use any fiction stuff. The real live and real people create the most fucked up stories!

8. Besides the self-titled debut does the band have any other merchandise currently availible for the readers? If yes what is availible and where can the readers buy it?
Yep that's my job too. We have a plan for awesome merch and it's not only about clothes. I think we gonna lauch our webstore after album realase, so if You don't wanna miss any cool limited editions You should watch our facebook and bandcamp profiles!


9. Has Hostia played very many live shows yet?If yes what have been some of the bands most memorable shows over the years?
As a HOSTIA we heaven’t played any gigs yet but we love to play live so it's gonna change in the right time!

10. What does Underground Metal mean to you?
I try not to categorize music, i mean it doesn't matter if it is underground or mainstream band. The only categories are bad or good music. There's a lot of good music on both metal scenes. I think underground and mainstream complete each other. Some young people start metal adventure from popular bands and after this they dig into undergound treasures.

11. Hostia comes out of Poland's grind,death metal scene what is your opinion of Poland's grind,death metal scene?
I think we have a very strong death, grind scene. Whole polish metal scene is a bunch of really cool guys and we're lucky to be friends with most of them. I'm so proud every time my friends from Decapitated or Antigama play on biggest festivals and are touring around the world. About grindcore - there's a couple awesome legendary bands like Dead Infection or Nuclear Vomit.

12. Who are your all-time favorite bands coming out of Poland? And are their any new bands you could recomend to the readers to check out soon?
My personal fav is legendary band Kat, if You like more brutal and extreme metal, you should check out Drown My Day, John Doe Burial, Iperyt. If You are more into black metal there’s Mgła, Thaw or Furia.

13. When no working on new music or band business what do you like to do in your free time?
I spend my free time exacly the same way like job time. I am graphic designer so I work on album covers or merchendise designs. I'm kind of nerd so I take a rest playing games, smoking weed and looking for some cool movies and comics.

14. Besides working in Hostia do you or any of the members currently work in any other bands or solo projects?
Yep but it's too soon to talk about it ;)


14. Thank you for taking the time to fill this interview out do you have any final words for the readers?
First of all thank you for being interested in our band! Second – thanks to all of you who spent a moment for reading this. I hope we have encouraged you to explore what Hostia is! Cheers from Poland!

                                                            Band  Contact
                                                      https://www.facebook.com/hostiaband/
                                                             Label  Contacts
                                                           http://vianocturna.com/
                                                        https://twitter.com/ViaNocturnaCom
                                                     https://www.facebook.com/ViaNocturnaCom