Thursday, June 4, 2015

Interview with Nordland done by Patrick on 6-4-15


Greetings 
Here  is  a  new  interview  done  with   the  one-man  band  Nordland   who  recently  released  their  newest  cd  "Songs Of Regression"   put  out  by  the  mighty   labels  Black  Plague Rec.  and  Metallic Media.So  if your  a  fan  of  pagan  black  metal  with  some very  well played  black metal  with  some  atmosphere  then do yourself  a favor  and  buy the  cd or  digital  copy today
Regards
Patrick
fiendformetal@live.com









Interview   with  Vorh  vocalist  and  all  instruments  of  Nordland    done  by    Patrick






1.Hails  Vorh   how  is  your   week  going  so  far? Please  introduce  yourself to  the  readers? When  did  you  get the  idea to  start  Nordland?


 Greetings Patrick, my week so far, same old shit! Trying and avoid the endless swarms of human detritus!
I am drunk right now, so everything's good! I am the fool who likes to write songs about things few people care about. As far as Nordland is concerned I started it about 4 years ago out of frustration and desire. Some of the songs existed before that but they had no place to call home.





2.How  did you  come  up  with the   name  for  this  band?For  the  readers  who  have  never  heard  Nordland's  music  how  would  you  best   describe  it?
 
 
 Nordland the name was part of the concept for the first album. I wanted a name that represented a place. I wanted the listener to go to that place when they are fully involved with the music. I think it helps with the immersion of losing yourself for a brief period. At least that's what I do when I listen to the stuff I'm into, and that's what I try to achieve also with Nordland. The music? I don't know, it's changed over the 3 albums. The debut was fairly primitive, it has expanded and grown I think. I think alot of non-metal influences are coming out now, but coming out metal!
 
 
 
 
3.  Vorh  you  are the  sole  member  of this   band  why  did you  decide to  keep  it  a  one man  band? Have you  ever thought  of  adding  more  members to  play  live  or  is Nordland  strictly  a  studio  project?What  do  you  feel  are the  advantges  and  disadvantges  to  being the  only  member  in the  band?
 
 
It is a one man band because it is easier to be in the creative process alone, the results are more pure or less diluted I think. The disadvantages are that if you are not careful your song writing can become stilted because you inevitability fall into patterns of doing things in certain ways and that can lead to dead ends. I have to be hyper critical about everything or it will quickly become boring. I have been in bands before and only one or two of the people you work with have any desire to push things out of the mundane. Most are concerned with looking cool, something which I don't give a shit about.
 
 
 
 
 
 
4.If you  had  the   opportunity  to  work  with   any  musicians{past  or   present}   who  would  you   like to  work  with  and  why?
 
 
 I don't know, people I admire in music across different genres. Even people you admire can be a pain in the arse to work with! It would have to be someone with similar ways of doing things.
 
 
 
5.Nordland  just  released their  new  cd  "Songs Of Regression"  through the  great  labels  Black  Plague Rec. and  Metallic Media Prod.   how  did you   come  in  contact  with  these  two  labels?
 
 
It happened really quick, I contacted Metallic Media and before I knew it Black Plague where on board and things got rolling. Two awesome labels to deal with and the CD came out great, so I'm happy with that. I hope to work with them again in the future.
 
 
 
6.How   long  did  it  take you   to  write  and record the  songs  for  the  new  release?Where  do  you   usually  draw  inspiration  for the  lyrics?
 
 
 It took awhile. I don't know exactly because I do it in stages maybe I'll have a week of writing then not write for 3 weeks I can sit and try and write something then the next day think its shit and delete it. If I kept everything I wrote it becomes a hindrance so I have to edit myself quite harshly. I don't know how to describe it really I just get a feeling something is right or not quite right or total shit, even though I kept some of the stuff I don't think is that great in a song, anything else I try to replace it with sounds worse! Its like overworking a painting you have to get a feel for when something it finished and leave it alone on move on. But that is why I keep trying to improve my writing. Lyrics mostly come after the music is finished. They are mostly concerned with paganism and reading the signs we are given every day, which most people don't see any more.
 
 
 
 
 
7.Vorh   you  handle the  vocals when  did you  become  interested   in  singing/screaming? Do  you  do  anything  special  to  keep  your  throat/voice   healthy?
 
 
 
 I think my vocals have improved since the first album. I can control them better and get different tones and light and shade in them now. I quite like doing them now whereas before I didn't . I wanted to add more variety on 'True Cult' but didn't have the ability. It's something I definitely have to keep working on because its not that easy to get the variation in the harsh vocal style. I think it can become a little monotonous if you don't try and vary things from time to time.
 
 
 
 
 
8.Who  are  some of your  favorite  vocalists?
 
 
 Peter Hammill, Derek Shulman, Nicklas Barker, Jon Anderson, Quorthon, Attila Csihar, Grutle Kjellson, Paul Di'anno, Sandy Denny, etc etc.
 
 
 
9.you  also  handle the  guitars  for the  band  when  did you  become  interested  in  playing the  guitars? Are you  self taught  or  did you  take  lessons  when  first   learning?
 
 
Back in the mists of time when I was about 14 or around there. I started on Bass then moved to guitar later. I used to try learn classic Rush stuff like Hemispheres, YYZ etc also early Maiden bass lines like Phantom of the Opera and also thrash stuff. I was always good at learning stuff by ear pretty quick, I would sit and learn whole albums by ear. Try and get every little thing right. I don't do that anymore it's just how I learnt to play. I just used to play along with loads of metal and prog stuff basically. If you just stick to one style of music it can become boring I think and you don't pickup different way of doing things.
 
 
 
 
10.Who  are  some  of your   influences/favorite  guitarists? Besides the  vocals and  guitars  are  you  currently  playing  any  other  instruments? Are their  any   instruments  that  you  would  like to  learn  to  play?
 
 
I'm more interested in the output of a band rather than a guitar hero type, that doesn't do much for me to be honest.  Arrangement, dynamics and atmosphere and the way a song is constructed is way more interesting to me. I can sit and listen to a piece of music and be amazed at really small things in a song. No other instruments at the moment but I would like to be able to play piano, I just like the purity of it.
 
 
 
 
11.What   does  black  metal   mean  to you?
 Well the type of Metal that means the most to me is the stuff that conjures a connection to something thats been lost. A tradition of songs which is about the connection to others of similar mind. Personally it keeps me in touch with the primal and holistic ways of connection to the earth. I guess I'm a bit of a hippy! I'm not really interested in the 'we're really evil and love Satan brigade'. Satan is a Christian construct, something which I have no interest in, Christianity is an over inflated, self serving belief . I can't see a justification to promote evil for evils sake, it's pointless.
 
 
 
 
12.Vorh   you   live  in  the  U.K  what  is your    opinion  of  England's   black  metal  scene?
 
 
Very Strong at the moment, loads of established bands like Winterfylleth, Fen, Wodensthrone, Forefather, The Meads of Asphodel, and a load of  others forging a path, Funeral Throne, Verdelet, Written in Torment etc etc and Nordland of course! I think the UK has and is establishing a strong scene now. I don't know every new band or project. I like what I like and thats it!
 
 
 
 
13.Who  are  your  all-time  favorite  U.K  bands? Are  their  any  new  bands you  feel  the readers  should  check  out  soon?
 
See Above! I am into alot of stuff that people into Pagan/black/whatever metal would probably laugh at! 
 
 
 
 
       
14.Besides  Nordland  are  you  currently  working  with   any  other   bands  or  solo  projects?
 
Not right now.
 
 
 
15.Thank  you  for  taking  the  time to  fill  this    interview   out  do you  have  any  final  words for  the  readers?
 
 
Thank you Patrick and  to all the folk out there who have supported Nordland so far I am very grateful.  
 
                                                          Label    Contacts
                                                  http://www.blackplaguerecords.com/
                                                  http://www.metallic-media.blogspot.com/
 
                                                       Band   Contact
                                                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nordland
                                                http://nordland6.wix.com/nordland
                                                  https://nordland.bandcamp.com/