Saturday, September 20, 2014

Chiral interview done by Patrick on 9-20-14

Greetings
I  am  finally  done  with  the  insane  hours  at  work  {for  awhile}  so  expect  a lot  of  new  interviews  and  reviews  very  soon.
The  first  one  is  Italy's Chiral  one man  band  who  has  released  a  great  e.p  right  now  it  is  only  digital  format  but  is  very  well  played  so  definitely  check  the  band  out  and  if  you  are  more  into  physical  cd's  {like  most  of  us}  the  U.S label  Black  Plague  will  be  releasing  it  early  next  year.
check  out  the  interview  and  buy  the  E.P  today.
Regards
Patrick






 Interview with Chiral of Chiral done by Patrick

1.Hello when did you first get the idea to form Chiral? How did you come up with the name of the band? For  the readers who have never heard Chiral's music how would you describe the music?


I had the idea of Chiral at the end of 2013 when I recorded a demo version of Sulfur, which is included in my first demo “Winter Eternal”.
I got the inspiration for the name from an episode of “Breaking Bad”, the famous TV series.
I’d like to describe Chiral’s music as Elite Black Metal, which is a term that I like very much. By the way my music is black metal with traces of prog rock, death metal, doom metal and ambient sounds.





2.When you started Chiral did you plan to keep it a one-man band or have you searched for other musicians  to join?


No, I always wanted to keep Chiral as a one-man band since the very beginning.




3.If you had the opportunity to work with any musicians {past or present} who are some musicians you would love to work with?



Well, I’ll be very pleased to work with Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth, he’s surely one of my main inspirations.
I also be very happy to work with Steven Wilson, I think he’s one the brightest minds that we have today in music.



4. Chiral has released the debut E.P {Digitally} "Abisso" how long did it take you to write the music for these song? Where do you draw inspiration for the lyrics?



I spent about 2 months to write the music part.
Well, actually I cannot say exactly where I draw the inspiration for the lyrics. Simply I needed to talk about some stuff that really mind to me.





5.If anyone is interested where can the fans download the "Abisso" E.P?



You can download “Abisso” from the following link:
 https://chiral27.bandcamp.com/
It’s only 2.50€, which is about 3 bucks, so it’s very affordable. Isn’t it!?!



6.I know Black Plague Records is supposed to release the cd version soon. Any idea when it might be  released? Will their be any bonus songs on the cd version?



It should come out in early 2015. And no, it doesn’t contain any bonus song, but it’ll come in an awesome jewel case with a fucking good cover art…isn’t enough? Hahaha



7.How has the response been from the fans? What about the press?



Not bad at all so far. Can you believe that some fans, and also a couple of ‘zines, defines “Abisso” as a masterpiece!?!
I know that it’s not a masterpiece at all, and maybe those comments are overrated, but I fell happy anyway to know that someone really enjoys my stuff.




8.Have you started working on the next demo or full-length? Any idea how many songs will be on the next  release?



Yes, I do. But there’re a mere draft songs at the moment, so I don’t know yet if I’ll include all in my next release.
Maybe it’s too early to talk about a new album, but yes, I’m working on something.



9.Have you ever considered playing live or is Chiral a studio only project?



I decided to keep Chiral only as a studio project at the moment.





10.You come out of the mighty Italian metal  scene. What is your opinion of Italy's metal  scene?




Actually I don’t think that the Italian metal scene could really be called mighty. Personally I don’t like so much the extreme music we have in Italy. Maybe I shouldn’t say so, but it’s just what I think.



11.Who are your all-time favorite bands from Italy? Are there any new bands you feel the readers should check out?



I said before I don’t appreciated very much the Italian metal, but there’re few really huge bands. My favorites are: Chaos Plague, finest prog death; Solitude Project, depressive black/rock, I listened to their latest split with Vita Odiosa at least a thousand time; Monumentum, well, what can I say? Simply Magnificent!
And if I have to suggest some new bands to keep an eye on, I’ll probably say: Woman Is The Earth (atmospheric black metal from USA), HaatE (black ambient from Italy) and Bròn (ambient black from Scotland).



12.At what age did you become interested in  playing the guitars? Are you self taught or did you take lessons when first learning?



I started playing the guitar when I was 10 years old. I took a couple years lessons at the very beginning, then I’ve decided to develop my skill on my own.
Anyway, I truly believe that having a good teacher it’s absolutely crucial in a musical instrument learning process.






13.Who are some of your influences/favorite guitarists? Do you play any other instruments?


My all times favorites guitarist are:
Pat Metheny, Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughan, John Petrucci, Kiko Loureiro and Gary Moore.
And yes, I play bass guitar and drum (just a little bit) beside guitar. I also learned to play harmonica some years ago.




14.You also handle the vocals for the band when did you first start singing/screaming? Do you do anything to  keep your voice/throat healthy? Who are some of your favorite vocalists?




That’s a good question! Actually I don’t know when I started to scream, but probably no more than a couple of years ago.
But I’m not a singer at all. Yes, I like to scream and growl all along my music but surely I don’t have the proper technique for these kind of vocals. Simply I try to imitate my favorite singers, and that’s how my scream comes out. So I don’t have secret tips to maintain my throat health. But I can suggest you to warm up your throat and vocal-chords every times before you start to sing/practice.
Anyway my favorite vocalist are:
Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth), the best ever for me, period.
Niilo Sevanen (Insomnium).
Jon Nödtveidt (Dissection), R.I.P. but he’s still one of the best.
Tomas Lindberg (At The Gates), anyway I prefer Tompa’s early years vocals.
Steffen Kummerer (Thulcandra).





15.Well Chiral thank you for taking the time to do this interview do you have any final comments for the readers?
Thank you too Patrick, it has been a pleasure.




Well, if I can I’d recommend to like my facebook page to keep up to date with Chiral.
www.facebook.com/ChiralItaly
And I’d also like to give you my bandcamp page address so you can check out all my music if you want.
https://chiral27.bandcamp.com
Finally I want to thanks everyone who supported me through these months… and keep horns up! \m/





Band  Contact  
https://www.facebook.com/ChiralItaly
https://chiral27.bandcamp.com



Label  Contact  for  the   cd  version
http://www.blackplaguerecords.com/