Friday, June 6, 2014

Interview With Thy Legion done by Patrick

Metal  Hails! 
Here  is  a  new  interview  with  the  Malta  metal  band  Thy  Legion  they  have  released a  new  song  and  are  going  to  release  a  new  cd  in  the  future  here is a  interview  with  Elton  Falzone guitarist  for  the band.
regards
Patrick
fiendformetal@live.com






Interview  with  Elton Falzon  Guitarist  of Thy Legion    done by Patrick


.Hello Elton  how is life going with you  these days? When did you  first  discover  metal?Who  were some of the  early bands you  listened to? Who are some of your current favorites?

Hello Patrick, I would like to start by thanking you for the interest you have shown in the band. 
My life has changed quite a bit since the last time that we spoke. Now that I have a two year old toddler running around, life is literally speeding by ! I guess I find myself at another stage in life. Hehe.
If I am not mistaken the first bands that I listened to where Guns ’n’ Roses, Nirvana, Metallica, The Offspring ... all at the age of 12. Along the way I made new friends, some of who were into heavier bands. At the age of 14, I discovered Black Metal. This, for me was like “Holy Shit, now that is what I am talking about” ! The first Black Metal bands that I listened to influenced me very much and changed my lifestyle. These were the might Immortal, Dimmu Borgir, Darkfuneral, Emperor, C.O.F. Carpathian Forest amongst many others.  My all time favourite bands will definitely remain Immortal, Bathory, Venom, Slayer Obituary, Dissection and a few more. 

 
 
 
2.When did you and the  other  members  of   Thy Legion  first meet?What is the  current  line-up?For  the  readers who have never heard your band how  would you  describe your  music?
 
 
 We all knew each other before the band was formed as we were all childhood friends. In 2004, our ex-vocalist Tyrone Mifsud came up to me with the idea to form a band and form then on we started to rehearse and create music. 
The current line-up is Kurt Dimech – bass, Clayton Cini – drums, Tonio Spiteri and Mark Dimech – vocals and myself on guitars, with David Depasquale as live session guitarist. 
I would describe our music as the brutal way of blackened Death Metal with two violent vocalists who raise hell!!
 
 
3.Thy Legion  have a new  cd  coming out  soon  what is the title of the new  release? How many songs are on  the new cd?
 
 
 The new upcoming album will be titled “World Stigmata” and will feature 10 tracks, one of which is instrumental, composed by a talented artiset David Pulis (aka Umarth – Martyrium (MLT)).  Another guest appearance by Tyrone Mifsud on vocals (ShadowBourne (MLT)), who will be unleashing his screams on one of the songs. We are also going to be including a live version of the infamous track ‘Feed Them Bullets’.
 
 
4.Will a label help the band  release it or are you all going to  self-release the new disk?
 
 This time we are trying to release the album with a record label, but if this does not happen we will go ahead and self-release this one as well.
 
 
5.How long did  it  take you all to write  the new songs? Does  the whole band help in the writing  department or does one-two members handle everything?
 
 In 2011, after we played live with Arranged Chaos (GER), Purgatory (GER) and Master (CZ) in Dresden, Germany we decided to take a break from live performances to focus more on song-writing. It took us about a year, year and a half to write the whole album but we wrote something different from the previous albums, this time switching more to the Death Metal genre. For this album I can say that Clayton and myself co-wrote the songs, but each member input his ideas and suggestions, making it a band effort. 
 
 
6.Who usually writes  the  lyrics for the band?What are some topics/subjects you all write about?
 
 
 
 I write most of the lyrics by taking all the negative things which happen in the world around us. This is what you will find in Thy Legion’s lyrics hehe. 
 
 
 
7.Does Thy Legion play live very often? Who are some bands you  have shared the stage with?
 
7.    As a band we play live between 3-4 times per year. We would like to keep it that way, at least for now.I will name a few bands that we have played alongside these years: Cannibal Corpse, Abysmal Torment, Beheaded (MLT), Repugnance, Dew Scented, Contradiction, Spawn (GER) and as mentioned earlier Purgatory and master. These are the ones which come to mind. 
 
 
 
 
8.I know you have done a few shows outside of Malta  whehre all have you toured/played? Are their any tours coming up that the  fans  can watch out for?
 
 We played in Berlin and Dresden. We are currently focusing on promoting the upcoming album, but we try to organise a mini tour or to play in festivals outside of Malta. Hopefully, next year. In the meantime we are gearing up for the Malta Death Fest, which is going to be held on the 6th and 7th of September 2014. 
 
 
 
9.If you  could set up a dream tour  who are some  bands[past or present] you would love to share the stage with ?
 
  I never really thought about it, but I would love to tour with Venom, Immortal and if I could bring back Jon Nodtveidt with Dissection. 
 
 
 
10.Elton you  play the guitars for Thy Legion  when did you start  playing the  guitars?Are you  self taught or did  you take lessons when first learning?
 
 
I am not entirely sure, but if I am not mistaken I started playing when I was about 13 or 14. At first I did not take it seriously, but after a year of wasting time I began to practice frequently. I did not take any lessons, making me self-taught. I prefer to learn things by myself. 
 
11.Who are some  of your Influences/favorite  guitarist? Do you  play any other  instruments?
 
 
 
 I don’t really have a favourite artist, but definitely admire Ihsahn as he is a highly talented musician. Every time I listen to his solo project I am amazed. I currently do not play other instruments but would like to find the opportunity to learn to play the mandolin. 
 
 
 
12.Are you  or any members currently working with other bands ?
 
 
Personally,  I prefer to input each and every idea into Thy Legion. Clayton plays guitars with ShadowBourne and Kurt plays bass with Hex Omega and Virtuosi. 
 
 
 
 
13.In your opinion  what is the best and worst thing  about the underground scene?And what does  Metal underground mean to you?
 
The best thing about the underground metal scene is that the music comes from the heart, not for money or the masses. If one wants to sing about taking a dump, nobody will judge. There are no boundaries. 
The one thing that I hate about the underground metal scene is how many Black Metal bands try to copy Darkthrone, sounding all the same, this really pisses me off ! I understand the difficulty a band finds to sound original, but it is worth a try !
 The underground scene to me means everything, the beginning. A number of bigger bands started off as underground bands, and as I already said before, the underground scene knows no boundaries. 
 
 
 
14.Elton you and the band come out  of  Malta  what is your  opinion of the Malta Metal scene?Who are your all-time  favorite bands from Malta?Are their any new bands you can recommend?
 
We live in a small island where the metal scene is not as recognised as in other countries. I personally think that in the past  the scene was better than it is nowadays. 
With regards to the bands, Malta has such great bands which are known around the world such as Forsaken, Beheaded, Nomad Son, Abysmal Torment as well as Weeping Silence and Victims of Creation, whose names are spreading outside the Maltese shores. 
My favourite band which I have been following these past 3-4 years is the one-man band Prayer of the Dying – Martin Ciappara, who is a very talented musician as well as a personal friend. 
Yes, there are a number of promising bands. The first that come to mind are Repugnance, War Trigger, ShadowBourne and Relicuia. 
 
 
 
15.Thank you for taking the  time to do this interview  my friend.Do you  have any  final  words for the readers before  we end the Interview?
 
 I would like to conclude by thanking you once again and by reminding the readers to an eye out for Thy Legion as well as the Maltese metal scene in general: there are many great bands hailing from this small island !